I am an RN who has worked in family practice for 25 years. I have worked as a nurse educator for the last six years helping patients to manage their chronic diseases, learn about their medications and add another layer of support for those in need.I love what I do and feel privileged to be able to help people improve their health.
1. How long have you been vegan? For about 2 years now, since August 2017.
2. What made you decide to go vegan? My friend;Chris who is a nurse is vegan.I asked questions and she gave me some wonderful recipes(I Love To Cook!)and I started to omit animal based foods and started to feel better.The book How Not To Die by Michael Greger and the documentary What The Health also made a big impact .One of my patients recommended the China Study after he started a vegan diet, and he has lost weight and has been able to reduce his diabetes medications. I see another man who became vegan recently and he has lost over 100 pounds and is off of two of his diabetes medication and decreased his insulin.I work with people who struggle every day and I teach what I am taught to teach,but when they ask me what I eat,I tell them and I ask all of my patients to “eat more plants!”
After reading the China Study, I just kept wondering,”Why does the world not know this information? Why is this not common knowledge?”I am hopeful they will know sooner than later.
3. What are the benefits eating vegan have done for you? I have more energy, I have lost some weight and my digestion is normal. I just feel good because I am nourishing my body with colorful,living plants.
4. What did you find to be the biggest challenge of eating vegan? I was a cheese lover, but after omitting it,my gut was happy. I now make my own cheese sauce with soaked cashews and nutritional yeast and have found some good vegan options.
5. What are your go to foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Breakfast: A green smoothie:a handful of spinach,a handful of kale,1/2 apple,1/2 banana,2 Tbsp ground flax seed,1/2 squeezed lemon and 1 cup of water. I freeze the greens and fruit in baggies ahead of time.
Lunch: Broccoli salad:2 heads broccoli,1/2 red onion,sunflower seeds,cranberries,chickpeas and a dressing made with vegan mayo,lemon juice,vinegar and stevia. I will often have a dairy free yogurt and berries too.
Dinner:Grilled veggies,Buddha bowls,homemade vegan burgers,lentil pasta with red sauce and/or veggies,vegan lasagna. The list goes on and on. Sweet potatoes,chickpeas,brussell sprouts and broccoli are mainstay.
6. Do you have a favorite cookbook, tip or recipe to share? I follow many vegan cooks/people on Instagram and get many recipes on Pintrest but also love the cookbook Isa Does It by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. It has excellent recipes and I love her wit! nora_cooks_vegan is my favorite on Instagram.