Andrea (aka Ashka which is the name my guru gave me. I became a yoga instructor at the age of 54 so now that I’ve been teaching for 7 years, I guess you could say I’m a chilled out yogi who disguises herself as an office manager/bookkeeper by day.
1. How long have you been eating plant-based? I have been mostly a vegetarian for 10 plus years, but only a year ago did I drop the dairy and resolve to live the whole food, plant-based lifestyle completely.
2. What made you decide to go plant-based? It started out as a health conscious decision but gradually evolved into being so much more compassion for the animals and a love for nature, and the environment primarily.
3. What are the benefits eating plant-based have done for you? I am aging gracefully! I feel good. I feel balanced and focused, and I have tons of energy!
4. What did you find to be the biggest challenge of eating plant-based?
I had to learn to be a little more organized. For one, I always make sure I have healthy snacks at work so when the boredom cravings hit, I’m not heading to the vending machine.
5. What are your go to foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Breakfast:
Chia seed pudding or avocado toast. I eat my biggest meal at lunch so there’s plenty of time to digest it before bed. I lean toward easy one-dish wonders like sauteed veggies over bulgur wheat or quinoa. Dinner is always light. Fruit salad is always a go-to.
6. Do you have a favorite cookbook, tip or recipe to share? I think my best tip is to take baby steps on this food journey. Decide to eliminate one thing at a time and stay true to that decision no matter what. Once that feels comfortable, move on to the next step.
Check out this website where Andrea teaches: www.sacredgroundyoga.com