Jake and his wife live in Wilton, Maine with their two dogs, Allagash and Oxbow. Jake works as a special education teacher in Farmington, Maine. When Jake is not at work, he enjoys exploring Maine and finding a new beer to try!
1. How long have you been vegan? 3 years
2. What made you decide to go vegan? After watching a few notable documentaries, like What the Health and Food, Inc. I realized that I needed to make some changes. I was really unhealthy most of my life, eating out a lot, eating a ton of meat and cheese, and not eating near enough vegetables. I was overweight, had high blood pressure, and just felt terrible. Once I transitioned to an all plant-based diet, I started losing weight, my blood pressure went back to normal, and I started having a lot of energy. In addition to making myself healthy, I wanted to do something to help the planet and the animals. Those documentaries really are eye opening to the unethical practices found in the meat and dairy industry.
3. What are the benefits eating vegan have done for you? For me, I found that I have more energy eating a plant-based diet. I also lost and maintain a healthier weight.
4. What did you find to be the biggest challenge of eating vegan? Going to a work gathering or a party can be difficult. We usually always bring one dish that we know we can eat and sometimes that is all we can have. Also, going out to eat in the community I live in can be very limited.
5. What are your go to foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Breakfast: Avocado toast with nutritional yeast, everything-but-the-bagel seasoning, and sriracha. Sometimes I’ll put some cooked tofu on it!
Lunch: I keep things simple: Tofu, rice, and broccoli and usually top it with a different sauce. But recently, we have making salad bowls with a ton of different vegetables, seeds, and nuts.
Dinner: A simple curry with whatever vegetables we have on hand. It’s quick, simple, and tastes delicious over rice. My wife also makes a delicious Pad Thai that we have often.
6. Do you have a favorite cookbook, tip or recipe to share? If you are just starting out, find someone to try going plant-based with. I was very fortunate to have my wife to be supportive along the way and keep me on track. Also, if you have Instagram, there are a ton of vegan Instagram accounts to follow that will give you great recipe ideas!
7. Do you have a website you would like or would like to promote? The Animal Refuge League of Greater Portland! Adopt, don’t shop! https://arlgp.org/