In the Spotlight
Denise and Stephanie
Denise and Stephanie are mother and daughter vegans.
1. How Long have you been eating plant-based? We have been plant-based for 5 years.
2. What made you decide to go plant-based? We did this for the animals to promote a peaceful world. We believe in living our values of compassion and kindness.
3. What are the benefits eating plant-based have done for you? Peace of mind, lots of energy, feeling lighter physically and emotionally, committing to values of compassion and non-violence, and positively influencing others.
4. What did you find to be the biggest challenge of eating plant-based? Living in a non-vegan world, dealing with disrespect, and ignorance, and feelings of grief and anger about how animals are treated.
5. What are your go to foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Breakfast: Avocado toast, oatmeal, tofu scramble, peanut butter sandwiches, smoothies. Lunch: Salads, hummus, chickpea, or tofu salad sandwiches, soup, pizza, and burritos. Dinner: Pasta, stir-fries, tofu dishes, baked potatoes, beans, and tacos.
6. Do you have a favorite cookbook, tip or recipe to share? Blogs-minimalist baker, love & lemons, hot for food, and lunchbox bunch. Vegan videos from you tube, vegan podcasts, especially Main Street Vegan. Book- The Four Agreements helps to deal with challenges. Tip: Be proud to live your values of compassion! Think of others as “pre-vegan.” Attend veg fests, visit animal sanctuaries, watch documentaries, and volunteer.